melshort9.etsy.com

my etsy gift shop, with lots of goodies for new babies and mommas

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

DIY Lightbox


Hello all! They're both napping, so I wanted to share a quick project I did a few days ago.

(Mostly, though, I want to avoid housework.)

I had some brand-new white onesies sitting around and decided I had better do something with them quick - before Mr. Man got too big to wear them!

Now, I've had a much harder time doing clothes for him than I did for P, because Mr. Man's daddy wouldn't be happy with me if I sewed flowers and bows and ribbons and unicorns and stuff on his shirts like I want to. What do boys do for embellishment?!?

So I settled for my favorite quote from a children's book. I found a font I liked at dafont.com, typed it up and got the size and layout how I wanted, and printed it out on a sheet of typing paper.

Now, here's the lightbox part. I put the paper inside the onesie, put the onesie on a glass table, and put a lamp under the table, so it would shine thought and I could see the letters clearly. Then I just grabbed my fabric paint, a tiny, stiff brush, and traced. The whole thing just took a few minutes.


See how dark it is outside? No, I'm not crafting after-hours. That's before the sun rises. My children wake up ridiculously early.

The font is Mandingo.

He's looking at his sister in this picture. I think he likes her.

Now I'm working on a Halloween top for P. I'll post it soon!

2 comments:

  1. I'm confused...they were both napping before sunrise? What's going on at your house?

    I love that quotation. I think it would be a great theme for a birthday party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mel,
    I forgot to tell you this the other day, but Marty and I were thinking of putting the exact same saying on the wall in the baby's room. One of Marty's favorite books is "Where the wild things are"
    Hope all is well,
    Marie

    ReplyDelete